Sunday, July 13, 2008

G.R.I.T.S.- Girls Raised In The South. Part 1.


OK, so I think I'm going to start this GRITS thing as a series. Why you ask? Because my babies are changing and they are adapting to the good 'ole south and I want to document these things they say and do. And it's funny. And it's something I never knew was possible. Us. Living life in the south.



So today, My girl and Sissy were playing store and restaurant (Two of their favorite things to play. They are quite imaginative). Sissy was taking my girls order. She usually takes the order and then "cooks" it in her playroom. While taking her order she says:



"What do you want? Cheeseburg (for cheeseburger in her 2 year old language)? Brocli (for broccoli)? What do you want?"



My girls says." Sweet tea, please!"



Matt and I just looked at each other and said....WOW!!!! I guess my girl is picking up on everything around here. More than I thought!



As you all probably know. Sweet tea is a southern thing. If you were to ask someone for sweet tea in a restaurant in Cali they would look at you like you were crazy and ask you what it was. When I visited Birmingham, Alabama a few years ago we were at a Ruby Tuesday's and I asked for Iced Tea. The waitress brought it over and I dumped my sweet and low in it and proceeded to take a sip and was struck by the sweetness. Well sure enough, she brought me sweet tea. (FYI. Usually they ask you in restuarants around here if you want it sweet or unsweetened.) But that was my "Cali moment."






No comments: